Water Reuse - for efficient water resource management
Water Reuse in Homes
Why reuse water? Because you should make full use of it, especially when there
is global water shortages.
Here are some tips on saving and reuse water at home:
- Turn off the tap when not in use. Regularly check taps and pipes for leaks
and repair any leaks detected.
- Never pour water away when there may be another use for it.
- Washing machine rinse water, especially the last few batches of rinse water
can be used for toilet flushing, and floor cleaning.
- Reuse water from washing of fruits and vegetables, and dish/cup washing
final rinse water to water plants.
- Install water-efficient taps and showerheads to cut water usage.
- Take shorter showers and turn off the shower while lathering and washing
- Use a tumbler of water to rinse your mouth instead of leaving the tap running
while you brush your teeth.
- Use a pail of water to wash your car rather than a hose.
- Rinsh dishes in a plugged sink rather than under running water.
- Do not use running water to defrost frozen food.
Have better ideas? Share your water reuse tips with us by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Water Reuse Standards
- US EPA Guidelines
for Water Reuse [7.6MB, pdf format]
Reuse Standards and Verification Protocol [919KB, pdf format, CMHC, Canada]
and Wastewater Reuse Booklet [1.49 MB, pdf format, UNEP]
Copyright © 2008-2009 www.waterreuse.org